- 2 1/2 lbs beef shanks or skirt steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Serrano chillies, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add beef, chopped onion, bay leaves and salt into a large pot and and add water to cover. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and shimmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove the meat from the pot (stock can be reserved for other dishes), shred the meat with hands when they're cool enough to handle.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, sliced onions, chilies and cilantro. Blend together and set aside for about 10 minutes to let the vegetables marinate.
- Gently toss the shredded beef into vegetable marinate, adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve cold or at room temperature as topping for Tostadas, or wrapped in corn Tortillas, or serve with rice and black beans.