I saw this recipe at www.bakerella.com and immediately I knew I had to try this!
- 6 envelopes gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp flavored extract (peppermint, coconut or berries)
- 1-2 drops food coloring
- extra sugar for coating
- In a large pot, mix gelatin and cold water, mix together and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour boiling water into the pot, stir until gelatin dissolves. Add sugar and stir.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- Divide the gelatin into 4 bowls. Add extract and food coloring to each bowl, stir until well combined. Transfer to 4 greased (with cooking spray) pans. Cover pans and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cut gelatin into 1/2 or 3/4 inch cubes using knife dipped in water. Separate cubes and roll in sugar until well coated on all sides. Place gumdrops on wax paper and leave at room temperature for 1-2 days to crystalize.