Ingredients for the donuts:
- 2 tablespoons (1 package) yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water, about 100 degrees
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk, about 100 degrees
- 1 egg
- 1/4 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups all-purpose flour
- oil for frying
Ingredients for the sugar coating:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons cardamom powder
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together warm milk, egg, yeast mixture until well blended. Gradually add the flour to form a soft dough (it should still be slightly sticky). Cover the bowl with kitchen towel, put it in a warm place and let the dough rise for about 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with rolling pin about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with donut cutter and let them rest for 30 minutes before frying. Meanwhile, mix sugar, cinnamon and cardamom in a large bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- When the dough has risen, heat oil in a shallow skillet (about 1/2 inch deep) to about 350 degree. Fry donuts one at the time until they turn golden brown on both sides. Take out of the skillet and immediately put in sugar mixture, shake to make sure that it's completely coated. Serve warm or at room temperature.