- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 quarts oil for deep frying
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate morsels or chips for glazing
- In a large bowl. stir together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg, butter and vanilla. Mix until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep heavy skillet to 370 degrees F. On a floured board, roll chill dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Use a 3 inch round cutter to cut out the donuts. Use smaller cutter to cut the holes from center.
- Fry donuts in hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Remove from oil to drain on paper towel. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in microwave or double boiler. Glaze the top of the donuts with the chocolate.