Fish tacos with Saffron-Ancho-Lime Dressing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, grind into paste
- a pinch of saffron, crushed and soaked in 1 tablespoon warm water for 5 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 pound cod filets, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 quart oil, for frying
- 1 package corn tortillas (about 8)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper until well mixed. Add fish strips into the flour mixture and toss until well coated in flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, garlic paste, saffron (with water), ancho chili powder and lime juice. Mix until well blended.
- Heat oil in a fryer to 375 degrees F. Fry the fish until they turn crisp and golden brown.
- To serve: Place the shredded cabbage, avocado strips, fried fish, cilantro and the dressing on a corn tortilla.