- 1 cup granola
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F with a rack in the middle. Oil 12 muffin cups. Combine granola and milk in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cover the raisin with hot water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain and soak with paper towels.
- Sift together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In medium bowl, beat together the eggs, honey, buttermilk or yogurt, canola oil and vanilla. Quickly whisk in the flour, then fold in the granola and raisins. Combine well.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool in the tins for about 10 minutes, then un-mold and cool on the rack
Makes 12 regular size muffins.
Recipe is taken from New York Times, published 12/07/2009