- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup flour, for dusting
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound baby carrots, or sliced regular carrots
- 1 pound peeled pearl onions
- 1 cup sliced white/button mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
- Place beef cubes in a gallon plastic bag with flour and shake until the beef is well coated. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 3 batches, brown beef in the skillet, about 5-7 minutes per batch. Transfer beef to slow cooker.
- Add garlic, carrots, pearl onions, and mushrooms into slow cooker. Pour red wine and broth over the beef and vegetables. Stir in tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker, cook on low for about 6-8 hours. The beef should be fork tender when it's done. Sprinkle chopped parsley on beef before serving.