When my kids are craving for some fried chicken and they want it within 30 minutes, Kara-age is the way to go.
Unlike other types of fried chicken, Karaage doesn't take all day to make. Just a quick marinate, coat with potato starch, then deep fry to produce flavorful crispy fried chicken everybody will enjoy.
Drizzle with liberal amount of lemon juice before serving.
- 1 lb boneless chicken thigh, preferably with skin, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup potato starch
- Oil for frying
- Lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine garlic, ginger, soys sauce, sake, salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces into the marinade, mix well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan to 350 F. Dust the chicken in potato starch, fry in the hot oil until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve immediately while they're hot.