Sugar cookies that can make everybody happy. I mean EVERYBODY! It's gluten free, dairy free, nut free and even egg free. As a bonus, these cookies also taste amazing.
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy (vegan) margarine, pre-softened
- 1/4 cup lemon zest, grated
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together flour, tapioca starch, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat together sugar, margarine and lemon zest until smooth and fluffy. Add tofu and lemon juice, mix well then add the flour mixture.
- Continue mixing with hand until the dough forms. Wrap in plastic sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- On the floured surface, flatten the dough into 1/4 inch thick using rolling pin. Cut into shapes with cookie cutter and transfer onto a lined cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes, until they turn lightly golden brown.
- Cool down on the rack completely before decorating.
Royal icing ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered unrefined sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla milk (or almond, or rice milk)
- 1 tsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Assorted food coloring
In a medium bowl, mix together milk and powdered sugar. Add corn syrup and vanilla extract, continue whipping until the icing is smooth and creamy. If it's too thick, add a little bit more milk. Divide them up into separate bowls, add food coloring into each bowl and mix well.
Note: If you don't want to bother decorating the cookies with royal icing, you can form the cookie dough into 1 inch balls, roll them into a 1/4 cup of sugar until well coated, flatten slightly with your hands, and bake the cookies in the oven for 8-10 minutes.