- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 5 drops food flavoring
- food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 225 F, place the rack in the center of the oven. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat until the egg whites form soft peak. Add sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat on medium-high speed until the egg whites form stiff peak. Beat in food flavoring and coloring.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with appropriate tip. Pipe the 1 inch rounds of meringue in rows onto the parchment paper. Bake meringue in the oven for about 70-90 minutes. Turn off the oven, then leave the baking sheets inside the oven for several hours to overnight to dry the cookies.
- Store in airtight container.