- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz vegetable shortening
- 8 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, separated
- Cold water, as needed
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. In a large mixing bowl (or food processor), mix flour, butter and shortening until crumbly. Add cheese and seasoning, then add egg yolk and cold water to form a dough. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Using rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into strips and transfer to greased baking pans. Brush with egg white and sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese onto them. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.