After almost a week of heavy meals (usual St. Patrick's day related dishes, and lots and lots of desserts), I'm ready for some lighter and more simple meals this week.
Today, Chinese style fried rice, really hits the note.
- 12 ounces (2 platefuls) cooked medium grain rice, preferably cooked a day beforehand
- 4 ounces chicken breast, diced
- 4 ounces shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 ounces green peas, cleaned and halved
- 2 eggs, cooked and scrambled
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat up the cooking oil on a wok or a large skillet over high heat. Add shallot, garlic and ginger, and stir fry until they turn fragrant. Add chicken breast, shrimp and green peas. Continue cooking until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add steamed rice into the wok, followed by soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to combine for a couple of minutes. Add scrambled eggs into the fried rice, mix well. Transfer to plates and serve immediately.