87 degrees outside
The sun is shining and the birds are chirping
The kids are playing and the dog is napping
A good book in hand
A glass of orange juice on the coffee table
A plateful of lemon lime basil shortbread cookies on its side
Life.....does not suck!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus some more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until large moist clumps form. Measure level tablespoonfuls of dough; roll each in between your palms to form a balls. Place on the lined baking sheet, spacing 2" apart. Press each ball with the bottom of a measuring cup into 2" rounds. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with some sugar.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the edges are brown. Transfer to a word rack to cool down.
Recipe is adapted from this Epicurious entry