Jackie from domesticfits.com was absolutely right!
This caramel corn is twice as good as she said it was, and it's has perfect balance between sweet and spicy (I'm a sucker for anything spicy!).
About 7 cups of popcorn.
Roughly 1 hour to prepare.
Less than 10 minutes for 4 people to eat the entire bowl of corn.
Yeah, it's that good.
- 1/3 cup corn kernels (7 cups popped)
- 1 brown paper lunch bag
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Pinch of Cayenne
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Place the corn kernels in a brown paper bag. Place in the microwave (long side down), microwave on high for 4 minutes. When the popping starts to slow to about one pop per second, remove the bag from microwave. Measure out 7 cups of popcorn (if there's less than 7 cups, pop additional kernels in the same manner, if there's more than 7 cups, reserve the remaining popped corn for another use).
- Spray a large baking pan with butter flavored cooking spray.
- Add the popped corn to the baking sheet in an even layer, place in the oven until the caramel sauce is ready.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, light corn syrup and salt into a saucepan over high heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, stop stirring. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, without stirring, or until dark amber color is reached. Remove from heat, immediately add Sriracha and cayenne.
- Spray a silicon spatula with cooking spray.
- Gently pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 250 degrees, stir and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove form the oven and spread evenly on a piece of wax paper. Allow to cool, break apart, store in air-tight container.
If you can wait that long.........