If there was a task to conquer, a skill to acquire, a goal to accomplish, it would be to make great oven baked fried chicken.
Soggy bottom, unevenly browned, and lacking crunchiness are normal result I got every time I attempted to cook some.
But, with a simple solution, to place greased wire rack on top of a baking sheet, then arrange the chicken pieces on the rack, those problems are finally gone for good.
- 8 pieces of chicken (breasts, thighs, drumsticks)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Mix buttermilk, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, sugar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Pour the buttermilk mixture into a gallon freezer bag. Add chicken into the mixture. Push as much air as possible out of the bag, and seal the bag. Massage the bag to make sure that the chicken pieces are well coated with buttermilk. Store in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours to overnight.
- Place flour, the remaining garlic and onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper in a large freezer bag. Seal and shake to mix. Take the chicken out of the buttermilk bag, and transfer to flour bag. Shake to coat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degree F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil to catch the dripping from the chicken. Place a wire rack on the baking sheet, spray the rack with oil. Take the chicken one by one out of the flour bag, shake off the excess flour and arrange them on the wire rack. Let them sit for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake chicken in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes, or until the center reached 170 degree F.
Spicy Garlicky Stir-Fried Haricot Verts
- 1 pound haricot verts, washed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add minced garlics and cook until fragrant.
- Add haricot verts and red pepper flakes, continue cooking until the vegetables are well cooked but not mushy, stir often.
- Add lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Remove from the pan and serve hot.