We love our fish tacos, but this time we opted to bake the fish instead of deep frying it. Guajillo marinated fish gives a different flavor tone to the tacos, but delicious nevertheless.
Ingredients for the fish:
- 4 dried Guajillo chiles, stemmed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice from 1 lime, about 4 tablespoons
- 1 pound white fish fillet (I used pacific cod for this, but tilapia works beautifully too), rinsed and pat dry.
Ingredients for avocado sauce:
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded stemmed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup broccoli sprouts (optional)
- 1 package corn tortillas, about 8 or 10
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce and salsa, optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toast the Guajillo chiles until slightly puffed and fragrant, about 10-15 seconds each side. Turn off the heat. Pour hot water into the skillet, just enough to cover the chiles, cover and let sit for about 30 minutes. Drain chiles and transfer into a blender, add the rest of marinating ingredients, and pulse into a thick puree. Season with salt.
- Sprinkle salt on fish fillets. Cover fish with chile paste on both sides, place in a container and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush with oil. Place fish fillets on the baking sheet, cover with another piece of foil. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the fish becomes flaky and turns opaque. (Alternatively, you may choose to pan frying the fish on the hot skillet, if you don't want to wait 25 minutes).
- While the fish is baking, place all of the ingredients for avocado sauce in a blender. Pulse into smooth puree, transfer to a bowl. Season with salt.
- When the fish is done, cut into bite-size pieces. Place some fish pieces on warm tortilla, top with shredded cabbage and sprouts. Serve with avocado sauce, lime wedges, salsa, and hot sauce (optional)