Ingredients for the pastry:
(Pastry recipe is taken from King Arthur Flour)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- I teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
Ingredients for the jelly filling:
- 1 cup cherry plum jam (I made my own cherry plum jam, but feel free to use any kind you like)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- colored sugar for sprinkle (optional)
- To make the dough: Whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Work in the butter until the mixture holds together when you squeeze it, with pea-sized lumps of butter still visible. Add egg and milk to the dough, mixing it until everything is cohesive. Roll dough into a ball, wrap with plastic and store in refrigerator (up to 2 days).
- To make the jelly filling: In a small saucepan, combine jam, corn starch and water. Cook over medium heat and stir well, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the stove and cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. On a well floured surface, roll out the dough into 1/8-inch thick. Using square cookie cutter (or pizza cutter), cut the dough into 2x2 squares. Place a popsicle stick on top of one of the squares, then spoon about /2 teaspoon of jelly filling in the center. Place another square on top of the jelly filling, pressing the edges together with a fork. Using a toothpick, pierce a couple of holes on the pop tart. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until they turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool down.
- To make the glaze: mix powdered sugar and water in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled pop tart pops, sprinkle with colored sugar, if desired. Give a little time for the glaze to harden, then simply enjoy!